Sunday, August 12, 2007

Red Cross

I'm so proud of myself. Friday, at work, I gave blood for the very first time! Our company sponsored a Blood Drive and since it was right down the hall....I signed up right away when they first announced it. I figured, heck, since I was having labwork done so regularly for so long, I have no fear of needles or being poked or seeing my own blood, I may as well go ahead and GIVE. So I did! I was proud and so were some of my co-workers who found out it was the first time for me. That made me feel good too! :)

In other thoughts...we went and visited my dad this weekend. He is doing much better. The doctor has increased his Effexor and eliminated the Ativan. Dad was showing signs of aggression and so the nurses contacted the doctor who inturn increased the meds. Dad is very talkative now. He may not make a lot of sense but it helps with the visits when he can sit still for a bit and have a conversation. It doesn't have to be a lucrative convo...just the fact that he's talking is good. He isn't sleeping as much during the day and he's eating much better too. So those are all good signs. It just makes me wonder how long it'll take for the diseases (Dementia/Alzheimers/Progressive Supranuclear Palsy) to progress to the point where he'll need the meds increased again. *sigh*

The girls are back up to my moms for the week. We will pick them back up from her next Saturday. So once again, the house is quiet. We had them overnight on Friday. We went to see Hairspray while Joe went to see Transformers and then yesterday drove up to visit my dad and leave them with my mom. My sister & her 2 girls were at my moms too for the weekend, so my girls are getting to play with their cousins while there!

Ok, off like a dirty shirt. Will try to post more often.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats on giving blood!

Sara said...

I'm glad you gave blood. :)

I'm also glad to hear that your dad is doing much better. *HUGS* That has to be really hard to go through.

Yay for no kids! I hope you are enjoying the alone time with your hubby and the quiet house.

Maanika Bauder said...

What they both said. :) Good for you on giving blood, and enjoy that kid-free time for certain!

I'm glad they took your dad off Ativan. We use that at our home, and it has to be carefully monitored. Some people don't do well on it at all (and one of the big side effects is grogginess/sleepiness). I'm very glad that he is doing better, and that your visits are nicer as a result.

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

(((HUGS)))

~Maanika

Anonymous said...

Hey girlie!
I'm so proud of you for donating blood! I'd do it more often if I knew where the local blood drives were (in convenient locations).

Take things one step at a time with your dad. I know it's hard. But just take your time and take things in slowly. I know I can't say anything to make you feel better but as you know I've been thru some very tough times with my dad too. Keep talking and praying to god honey... He will get you through this.

p.s. - ordered the cake & the samples are YUMMY!!! lol

HUGS!!